Chicks With Guitars

Not a fetish. Just an appreciation.

Monday, November 21, 2005

ANNA NALICK



Singer/songwriter Anna Nalick never had another career option. Show business is in her blood.

“From the time I was a little girl I just knew I wanted to be a performer,” she recalls. “My grandparents both performed on Broadway, mainly in the chorus. My grandmother even danced with Fred Astaire. She was in the stage versions of the Marx Brothers’ 'Coconuts’ and 'Animal Crackers.’

“If it hadn’t been for their stories, I probably would have chosen something else as a career,” she said. “I learned many of the songs from those old shows from my grandmother who taught them to me when I was a kid.”

Growing up, she was also an avid reader, beginning with Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss, enamored of the way they told stories through rhyme. Around the age of 9 or 10, she began writing her own poems, then began writing new lyrics to the songs she loved.

Among them were Matchbox 20 songs, which rings of a little bit of irony since her first national tour is opening for Rob Thomas, that band’s songwriter and lead vocalist, who now gives her a lot of good-natured grief for rewriting his songs.
But around the same time, she also discovered that she could write her own melodies and began writing for a heavy metal band that performed in her high school and sang with a Rush cover band.



In addition to writing her own songs, she was developing as a live performer, singing on-stage with a Rush cover band. “I was also in a band with my best guy friend and we played hard rock songs,” she recalls, “and I had to be really angry and do a lot of screaming.

“I loved singing, but had it in my head that only little kids wanted to be rock stars,” she said, so she put off a musical career for an educaiton, but in college, she continued writing and documented her songs on a Rainbow Brite cassette tape recorder.

She gave a tape to a classmate who had parents in the music industry, which lead to an introduction to Christopher Thorn and Brad Smith, the founding members of Blind Melon now turned production team, and Eric Rosse, best known for his production work with Tori Amos.

College went on hold and her career took over. Within weeks of making a professional demo, she had label interest.

“If you want something bad enough, your dreams come to find you,” she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home