Chicks With Guitars

Not a fetish. Just an appreciation.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

KATIE REIDER


The music never stopped around the Reider household.

“There were guitars everywhere, so that’s what I know,” said singer/songwriter Katie Reider, whose father Rob was a featured vocalist on “The Bob Braun Show” in the late ’70s and ’80s.

“My mom sings, too, so growing up I didn’t understand why other families didn’t all play music together,” she said. “She’s really in heaven when we’re all in town for the holidays, when there could be four or five people playing guitar around the fireplace.

“I knew that music would be a part of my life, but I didn’t know to what extent.”

Since her first release in 1998, Reider has been recognized by the local and national recording industry, winning five Cincinnati area music awards, landing several national airing spots on the ABC television network, and independently selling over 10,000 CDs.

Music is still a family affair for her. Her dad helped produce and her brother Robbie lent additional guitar work on her fourth and latest release, “Simplicity.”



“There was never a doubt that I could make a career in music,” she said. “I watched my dad do it at a regional level and supported a family.

“Taking it to the next level is now the goal. We’ve been approached by some industry folk who are shopping us in New York City,” she said, and a recent booking at the fabled Bitter End brought landed her a February showcase.

“This is the best opportunity we’ve had yet,” she said, although it’s taken her to take a second look at her attitude toward “the business.”

“I have been so anti-big business that it’s been difficult,” Reider said. “But I’ve come to realize that if you want to do this, you have to be really lucky, really determined and have some money behind you.

“The machine doesn’t seem so terrible as long as I’m not sacrificing my integrity,” she said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home